Wednesday, July 12, 2017

What Do You Think About Distance Dating?

 Many impose strict limits on the distance they will travel for love. I am a few hours from NYC and yet many from there wouldnt entertain even trying to get to know me. Who says that true love has to be geographically close? Does that mean if the closest star to us doesnt have life we won't search any other star system because they are too far away?  And what is "distance"?  I have traveled by plane for a date after skyping and finding a real interest.  Now many have children/divorce restrictions to distance dating..  but for others..  is love more important than career?  And whose career determines where you live?


Love conquers all ...Love makes the world go round ...
Love can move mountains ... Without Love you won't endure the distance between you and her / him ...

You do get to know someone better long distance because you do spend so much time communicating between meetings.. and when you finally do meet.. its intense.  I handled the training issue easily as a runner by getting up at 5 to run and being back before my partner got out of bed.  rmac it does take a lot to start one long distance and maintain it.  I was away during my marriage for a year..  it was very tough getting back every 2 weeks for a long weekend and then being away again..  esp if there are kids involved. and Maryclaire I am a bit of a romantic as you..  LOVE should conquer all.

I was told once to not date anyone closer than 500 miles so you are forced to talk and get to know each other. It also makes it even more exciting and fun when you are together.  I agree...but disagree...

If both people have the freedom, funds, and flexibility (the three Fs) to travel and are willing to, it could be a wonderful relationship. Of course there is the usual "however."  If one or both parties want to take it to the next level of being together, someone is going to have to move.  Is that possible?  Houses, kids, grandkids, pets, work, etc. obviously can affect that.

I do Ironman races so I would need someone who lives or travels to places where I could train.  Also, would my significant other really want me gone on a 4 hours bike ride alone if he is not wanting or able to join me?  If he does the same stuff, wow!  How fun!  But how many men, much less people in general, do that kind of working out?  Maybe .01% of the population so even finding someone in the first place is difficult even without the other factors.

Travel can also be exhausting.  Is it worth it to both travel to each other all the time only to have a miserable trip because you are tired and grouchy, and yes, most people do get grouchy when tired.  A time difference can clearly affect a person as well.

Diet and eating can be affected when traveling or visiting each other.  That can affect mood (sometimes in a GOOD way!).

All in all, it's a complex issue and it's based on personal needs, priorities, beliefs, experience and lastly "then what?"

My personal need is time. Long distance does not give me time, it takes my time.  Even driving an hour away is too much because then it's an hour back plus dinner plus... you can easily spend 4 hours on an evening and half of that is spent in the car.  No thanks.

My priorities shift but never has there been a time when my #1 priority was to find love. When it happens, I'm all in but

Then you have beliefs and the first question I have to ask is this: If she is so great, why can't she find a guy near her?

Experience and tried it twice... didn't work... you can either learn from experience or stay with the definition of insanity.

Lastly you have to ask "then what?" so you met someone and its serious.  Are you going to pick up and move to where she is?  Are you going to take on the responsibility of moving her to you and helping her get reestablished which includes building a social circle?  And then what happens if it doesn't work out? Will she be stuck in a place she doesn't want to be or will you be moving her back to where she was?

Of course, to some people, distance doesn’t count or matters when "LOVE" sits in ...Its simple as that but its difficult to maintain specially if both are jealous types or one of them ..Trust is written big on the wall ...I had been several times in that kind of relationship and was successful in it but time comes I had enough of it and yearn to be together with the man I chose to be with ....

So my answer, obviously not long story short but long story long, is maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment